Rethinking your blog
One of our clients is in the process of revamping its website. During this process, they also need to be re-thinking their communication and content strategies including their blog. So when I came upon Social Media Examiner‘s 5 Tips to Becoming a Top Blog in Your Industry, I jumped right in eager to see what Examiner had to say.
Here are 5 quick tips—and one great piece of advice—for getting your blog the attention it deserves. (My thoughts are in itals).
- Survey the interest of your audience. (Our client surveys for the monthly programs and annual conference. Why not for blog content as well?)
- Spin hot topics into many posts. (Offer fresh voices and insights on topics. See #3 for one way to do this.)
- Leverage the power of multiple authors. (Use guest bloggers especially for #2. Gives your blog more credibility not to mention fresh ideas. Many associations have a number of members with a lot to offer so why not use them if possible).
- Integrate social sharing (Don’t believe in the “build it and they will come” theory. It doesn’t work. Side note: I had this argument my last semester of college. See Do you have an on-line discussion forum but nobody comes?)
- Capture Emails (Create an email sign-up so that once they are there you have a way to keep them there.)
And Social Media Examiner’s top advice: Rethink what it means to blog. In other words, treat it as a magazine, not as a blog. Become a publisher.