Top 20 Resources (some old, some new) for October
Did you know that October is National Book Month? That may or may not have inspired this month’s 20th celebration list as we’ve been published in two ASAE books. To keep to our theme of 20, we scoured our archives and pulled another 18 resources (so 20 total) we’ve had published and think are as relevant today. Caveat: some are recent, some are getting on in years (just like those classic rock songs from the 1960s & ‘70s that keep on giving – ok, showing our age). Oh, and the collection includes white papers, published articles, podcasts/interviews and more. We hope you find something that works for you.
1. Actively engaging Members, Chapter 40: ASAE Professional Practices in Association Management 4th Ed 2021: Considered an essential resource for effective leadership, this text is also a core resource for the CAE exam. This chapter maps out how associations can optimize member engagement and volunteer development. For purchase on Amazon or through ASAE.
2. Dashboard Indicators, Chapter 11: ASAE Component Relations Handbook, 2012: This is the only handbook written exclusively for association pros who work with components and Chapter 11 is a look at how we can support chapters to well avoid Chapter 11. For purchase at ASAE Center.
3. 2022 Chapter Performance & Benchmarking Report (2022): Use this report as a resource for benchmarking, sharing innovations in chapter management, and starting conversations about the future of chapters. Bonus: read the recaps of our 3-day big reveal webinars on what we found.
4. Getting to the Good Stuff: Evidence-Based Decision Making (2014): You have the data, but do you know how to use it? And is it the right data? This whitepaper shows how you and your staff can use that data to make better, faster decisions in service to your mission, your members, and your other audiences. Written in partnership with Elizabeth Weaver Engel, M.A., CAE, CEO & Chief Strategist, Spark Consulting LLC.
5. Create a Chapter Dashboard Tool (updated 2022): So how do you know if your chapter program is truly healthy? How do you diagnose areas in which your chapter network needs repair? Read on to discover a practical approach to evaluate your chapter program’s health and pinpoint ways to strengthen it.
6. Evaluating the Health of Your Association’s Chapter Program (Written for Community Brands 2019): A healthy chapter program delivers valuable benefits for an association as well as drives member engagement, member satisfaction, and overall member growth. This report builds on the Chapter Dashboard Tool by taking a look at how to prepare chapters for growth and improved ROI. Download the paper via Community Brands. Also check out this Community Brands blog post.
7. Opening the Door to Volunteers – Association Evolve: Predictions for 2022 and Beyond Report (Association Evolve Journal 2021): This article builds on the 2019 ASAE Volunteer Driver to apply the learning so associations can rebuild the volunteer spirit. Note: This report is part of the Association Evolve Project via Strategic Membership Solutions (SMS) and features 46 association thought leaders throughout the industry. Download the full report here.
8. Chapter of the Future (2015): What if you could build your chapters from scratch? What would you keep or toss out? What would your volunteers keep or toss out? Get some startling facts, fundamental questions to ponder, what volunteers are really saying, and more. Report may be 7+ years old but still relevant!
9. Creating Association ROI Through Volunteer Training (Toolkit) (2021): This Toolkit provides a roadmap for creating a volunteer learning journey to help you tap effectively into the diverse skills, knowledge and energy of our volunteers. Read this 3-part series on creating a volunteer learning journey. Created in collaboration with Kristine Metter, MS, CAE, Crystal Lake Partners, and input from other CRPs.
10. Mutually Beneficial Volunteerism: Opportunities for Enhancing Association Volunteer Systems (ASAE 2017). This report captures the results and recommendations of a major study on association volunteering, conducted by Mariner for ASAE Foundation. (Note, the 2022 research report with clear actions for associations to take will be available soon!)
12. How to better engage the remote workforce you’ve always had (ASAE 2020): Remote workers are fully a part of our workforce now – and have been for associations forever if we recognize that our volunteers are largely all remote workers for us. This piece explores effective volunteer strategies that will transform how we engage and support our volunteers.
13. Why is the component relations community important to associations? (Interview 2019): Why is the component relations community important to associations? Peggy Hoffman shares her thoughts with Association Chat founder/CEO KiKi L’Italien at CEX 2019 in this short and sweet interview.
14. Member Engagement or Old Baggage? (Association Chat 2018): Your components – call them chapters, affiliates, sections or any other name – are key to member engagement, awareness, sales and growth. Listen in as 3 association pros share stories and research culled from an association survey and benchmarking study. Hosted by Association Chat founder/CEO KiKi L’Italien.
15. Ban the V World (Driving Participation Podcast 2014): Time to rethink the term volunteer? Peggy Hoffman talks with Beth Brodovsky (Iris Creative) about how we can get members involved to a greater level where they can be considered citizens and “belongers” of an organization by going outside our traditional way of thinking. Listen in or download the transcript.
16. Mission Driven Volunteer (2013): Redefining volunteerism to focusing on contributions to the mission, not the titles, requires a fundamental change in how you think about volunteering. In this whitepaper, we’ll show you how it can be done. Authors: Written in partnership with Elizabeth Weaver Engel, M.A., CAE, CEO & Chief Strategist, Spark Consulting LLC.
17. Turning No into Yes: Tips on Volunteer Management (originally printed in WMCCAI Quorum Magazine May 2012): Getting to “yes” requires a new way of thinking about volunteerism which is still a roadmap for associations today.
18. Diamond in the Rough, Leadership in Components (ASAE Executive Link 2009): To many, volunteers are tomorrow’s leaders. See what it takes to be a successful local leader from four volunteer leaders at every stage of their careers.
19. 6 ways to Collaborate Components (originally printed in Associations Now 2008): Components contribute to an association and nearly a quarter reported revenue contributions. This article highlights six ways you can get those results.
20. Volunteer Management: Online Course Collection (ASAE Online Learning): Learn to create stronger relationships with volunteers and build your volunteer management knowledge and skills. For purchase at the ASAE Online Learning Center.
*We have one more Top 20 List, and it will be a fun one so stay tuned. In meantime, if you missed any of the past, here’s the “list”!
- A Top 20 List of Top 20 Lists
- 20 things you can do for your chapters
- 20 Volunteer Stats for Your Summer Reading
- Need a reason to Volunteer? Here’s 20!
- Short & Sweet: 20 Ad hoc & Micro Volunteers Roles
- 20 Volunteer Truths That Never Grow Old
- Show Your Volunteers the Love During #NVW!: 20 cool ideas
- From the Past: 20 Posts That Still Resonate
- 20 Years and Counting!